Ana G. Almeida, MD, PHD, FESC
Postgraduate Education and Academic Degrees
- Cardiologist by the Hospital and the Portuguese Medical Board (1987 to 1989).
- PhD degree, obtained from a thesis that included Cardiac Magnetic Resonance (CMR). Title: “Predictors of long-term prognosis of aortic dissection. Impact of cardiovascular magnetic resonance” (2001).
- Auxiliary Professor of Cardiology, Faculty of Medicine of Lisbon University (2002).
- Associate Professor of Cardiology, Faculty of Medicine of Lisbon University (2005).
- Aggregation degree to the Faculty of Medicine of Lisbon University (2010).
Main Present Jobs and Positions
- Senior Consultant Cardiologist, University Hospital Santa Maria, Lisbon (since 1994).
- Associate Professor (with Aggregation degree) of Cardiology, Faculty of Medicine of Lisbon University (since 2010).
- Head of Non-Invasive Cardiac Imaging Unit and Chair of the CMR and Echocardiography Units, Cardiology Department of the University Hospital Santa Maria (since 2005).
- Vice-chair of the Cardiovascular Centre of Lisbon University (since 2005).
- Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology (since 2007).
Most relevant experience on CMR
- Training and Practice of CMR:
- MRI Unit of the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Centre, at Dallas and at the CMR Unit of the Brompton Royal Hospital at London (1996 to 1997).
- Head of the CMR Unit at the University Hospital Santa Maria and also at the Red Cross Hospital/SPRM in Lisbon (since 1997).
- Approval at the Euro CMR Exam, obtaining the best mark of the Exam (2006).
- Level-3 European CMR Certification, European Society of Cardiology (2013).
- Teaching/supervising activity and Courses on CMR
- Supervisor (scientific orientation) of Master thesis and PhD on Cardiac imaging.
- Responsible for post-graduate and undergraduate teaching and training programs and courses on CMR and other cardiac Imaging techniques.
- Working Group of CMR (WG CMR) of the ESC
- Ex-officio member of the WG ESC (by invitation) (2004 to 2006).
- Member of the Nucleus of the WG CMR (by election at the ESC community) (2006 to 2010); member of the Web Committee (2006-2008) and Education Committee (2008 to 2010).
- Active member of the EuroCMR Certification Exam Board (since 2011).
- Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance
- Member (since 1997).
- Working Group of MR, Nuclear, CT of the Portuguese Society of Cardiology
- Chair of the Working Group of Magnetic Resonance, Nuclear Cardiology and Cardiac CT of the Portuguese Society of Cardiology (2009 to 2013).
- Member of scientific and/or organizing committees and/or Chair- local Host of meetings and congresses
- EuroCMR and EuroEcho (European Society of Cardiology);
- Portuguese Congress of Cardiology.
Reviewer of the following journals, as CMR/imaging expert: Journal of the American College of Cardiology; JACC Imaging; Circulation Cardiovascular Imaging; European Journal of Cardiovascular Imaging and previously European Journal of Echocardiography; International Journal of Cardiology; International Journal of Cardiovascular Imaging; Radiology; Portuguese Cardiology Journal; British Journal of Medicine and Medical Research; NMR in Biomedicine. Member of the Editorial Board of the Portuguese Journal of Cardiology.
Publications: Full peer-review publications (national/international): 61.
Faculty/Invited speaker activity (national/international): about 250 talks.